Friday, November 20, 2009

An aside: Comment to Sean Hannity regarding KSM

Here is a comment I placed today on Sean Hannity's website:

I am [an] avowed ULTRA-conservative. And it's on THAT basis that I say you are COMPLETELY wrong on the KSM issue. You constantly accuse Democrats of not reading the constitution, but on this issue, I HOPE you have not because otherwise it means you have purposely ignored what is written in the document.

Over and over you have stated that KSM should not have the same rights as "citizens." I wonder where you get the idea that the Bill of Rights only applies to citizens.

If I am a citizen of France, visit the United States, and steal someone's wallet, am I not afforded the same protections as a citizen? I hope you would say I am.

Just in case you ARE ignorant of the wording of the Fourth, Fifth, and Sixth Amendments, here are the relevant portions (emphasis mine): "The right of the PEOPLE to be secure...."; "No PERSON shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime...."; "In all criminal prosecutions, the ACCUSED shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial...."

NOWHERE in the Bill of Rights is CITIZENSHIP a requirement to be protected by the constitution. The men who wrote the document knew there were MANY non-citizens in the country, and if the framers meant to exclude them, the word "citizen" could have easily been used. So PLEASE STOP using the phrase "the same rights as citizens." It is misleading and JUST PLAIN WRONG.

If you want to support military tribunals for the terrorists, find another way besides mistreating the constitution.


Sadly, no one particular political party has a monopoly on misleading the public.

No comments:

Post a Comment